There is no doubt that waiting for a baby is a good time in the life of any gender representative. But it is often full of anxiety and complications. One of them is varicose veins during pregnancy. The growth of the fetus puts a lot of pressure on a woman's legs, and the blood vessels sometimes cannot stand, and this uncomfortable disease will occur. It not only destroys the beauty, but also may be dangerous to health and even life. There is more about this in this article.
The main cause of pathology
Varicose veins in pregnant women are very common; one third of women face varicose veins.
There are many reasons for varicose veins during pregnancy:
- Blood composition changes during pregnancy and fibrinogen increases. He is "responsible" for the viscosity of the blood. This means that the blood becomes thicker, it becomes more difficult to move through the blood vessels, and normal blood flow is disturbed. Therefore, the veins cannot bear and expand. In addition, as fibrinogen increases, the possibility of blood clots will increase.
- The growth of progesterone in the blood is an unfavorable factor for blood vessels. The fact is that this hormone will lower the tone of the uterus and protect the body from miscarriage and premature birth. And at the same time, blood vessel tension decreases.
- Blood volume almost doubles during pregnancy. This increase leads to the fact that blood vessels cannot cope with abnormal blood volume and deform.
- As mentioned above, the growth of the fetus increases blood vessel pressure.
In addition, women may have indirect disadvantages to the development of varicose veins during pregnancy:
- genetic factors;
- Rapid weight gain;
- The diet of pregnant women is insufficient in fiber and vitamins;
- Low mobility.
If the mother has varicose veins in her legs during pregnancy, her daughter is likely to have this problem.
Symptoms of varicose veins during pregnancy
At the onset of the disease, a woman may not have any symptoms at all. Then spider veins and webs appear. But few people pay attention to them. However, many people are already shocked when there is swelling of the legs at night and night cramps.
Then, the veins can be seen with the naked eye, and they "come out" to the surface of the leg skin. This not only spoils the appearance, but also causes concern. After all, the situation could be worse! Indeed, blood clots form in the dilated veins, which has threatened the lives of women and fetuses.
It is impossible to completely cure varicose veins during pregnancy. Only after delivery can you get rid of the pathology.
In addition, there are varicose veins on the legs during pregnancy, please excuse me:
- The legs are heavy;
- Problems with walking (sometimes the legs are swollen so that it is difficult to walk);
- Pulling leg pain.
Of course, many pregnant women dream of getting rid of these symptoms. To do this, you need to contact a phlebologist or surgeon and he will tell you what to do.
The most common species
There are not only varicose veins on the legs during pregnancy.
And varicose veins:
- The rectum (commonly known as hemorrhoids).
The most common varicose veins in pregnant women are lower limbs and hemorrhoids. The latter causes a lot of trouble for women-pain and blood in the stool during defecation. If the treatment of varicose veins is not started on time during pregnancy, there may be major problems, such as bleeding from the veins. In order to prevent this from happening, you need to contact your doctor in time. He will tell you how to treat varicose veins during pregnancy.
Effective treatment methods
Currently, there are many treatments for varicose veins in pregnant women. But prescribing them yourself is very dangerous. Because many drugs have serious contraindications. The doctor will prescribe appropriate treatments that will not harm the mother or the baby.
The treatment of varicose veins in pregnant women usually includes oral and topical ointments. But please note: some of them cannot be used in the first trimester.
You can also use traditional medicine formulations to treat varicose veins in pregnant women. But first, you need to consult your doctor, because many of these recipes can be harmful to the baby's life.
Popular fighting methods
Here are some healthy traditional medicine recipes for pregnant women:
- Apple cider vinegar.They can abrade the leg area affected by varicose veins. They can also be taken orally, but only in special doses. You should add a teaspoon of vinegar to a glass of water and drink it once a day. After a month of treatment, positive changes will appear.
- Horse chestnut.This plant is always in the first place in the treatment of varicose veins. Because it can perfectly strengthen blood vessel walls, reduce swelling, relieve leg cramps and heaviness. With your doctor's consent, you can wipe the vein with horse chestnut tin and drink it inside. You need to take the tincture twice a day and take a certain amount of medicine as prescribed by your doctor. After ten days, you need to take a break. Then you can repeat the reception.
- Green tomatoes.It is necessary to cut the tomato in half and stick it on the sore leg. Must persist until a burning sensation appears. Some people tie them to their feet all night and wash them with cold water in the morning.
- Kalanchoe tincturecan be used to wipe the feet, this should be done every day for three months.
- Potatoes.It is necessary to grind some raw potatoes on the coarse grater, put the porridge on the cloth, and then press it tightly. Wrap it up with a bandage and take it out after 4 hours.
- Wormwood.Grind the wormwood flower until it is smooth, dilute it with milk and apply it to the legs. Tie tightly and remove the compress after 2 hours.
Medical gymnastics can also help varicose veins. There are several exercises for pregnant women that can reduce the occurrence of this disease.
Some of them:
- Sit in a chair, rotating each leg in turn. Repeat 10 times.
- Lie on your back, lift your legs carefully, and use your legs to imitate the movement of a bicycle.
- Stand up, with toes raised and heels rolling. Repeat 10 times.
- Walk for 2 minutes and do not lift the socks from the floor.
Walking down the stairs is very useful. It is also important to walk in fresh air-walking can normalize blood flow. After fatigue, you need to lie on your back and raise your legs by 20 degrees.
A good way to prevent and treat varicose veins is to use compression stockings. The attending physician will help you choose the appearance and degree of compression.
There are several types of compression socks:
- knee high;
- Elastic bandage.
Pregnant women's varicose vein pantyhose is used for the wide range of varicose veins from the foot to the thigh. For small varicose veins in the area below the knee, use knee height. An elastic bandage that is fixed on the foot and then bandaged to the thigh can also successfully help you.
The main treatment for varicose veins during pregnancy is to prevent thrombosis and ensure good blood circulation.
Knitwear should be worn in the morning and it is best not to get up. Before that, you can apply a therapeutic cream. Then, you need to lie down for another ten minutes to restore blood circulation. You can wear it all day and take it off before going to bed.
Pregnant women should take the following measures to prevent varicose veins:
- Sleep on the left side at night. This has a beneficial effect on the blood vessels of the fetus and mother.
- Breathe fresh air. When moving, the blood vessel wall is strengthened, the blood is filled with oxygen, and the blood composition is improved. Walking can prevent blood clots.
- In order to normalize nutrition, pregnant women’s diet should contain all the necessary minerals and vitamins. You can also take vitamin complexes.
- Special exercises for pregnant women.
- Avoid sitting and standing for long periods of time.
- Make sure not to increase the weight of pregnant women soon.
- Wear comfortable shoes with low heels.
- A special bandage should be used to support the abdomen.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol.
- is useful for pregnant women to visit the swimming pool.
- Contrast showers can strengthen blood vessels well. It should be taken only in the morning. Hot baths, baths and saunas are forbidden during pregnancy.
- Raise your legs and rest.
And make sure to follow the doctor’s advice, otherwise the adverse consequences of varicose veins cannot be avoided.
Consequences of disease development
If you don't treat varicose veins, it can cause serious complications. Some of them even threaten the lives of mothers and babies.
Here are some complications of varicose veins during pregnancy:
- Thrombosis. Blood clots can form in the dilated veins. They sometimes break and pass through blood vessels, which is very dangerous.
- Pulmonary embolism. This is a serious and life-threatening condition in which blood clots enter the lungs, obstructing blood circulation and oxygen supply. There are no initial symptoms, so it is difficult to diagnose this disease.
- Thrombophlebitis. Blood clots in blood vessels can cause inflammation. In this case, redness and swelling of the limbs can be seen. Among the symptoms, severe pain and itching somewhere are worrying.
- Nutritional ulcers. For varicose veins and diabetes, this complication can occur. In this case, not only the skin is inflamed, but the bones and tendons are also inflamed. This process has developed for a long time, and various infections are also involved.
This is why in order to avoid this terrible complication, the disease must be detected and treated in time. It is important to follow all prescriptions of the attending doctor.