Varicose veins are as widespread in men as in women. Deformation of the vein wall and impaired blood flow can occur for many reasons, such as increased physical exertion of the blood vessels and sedentary sitting. If there is no treatment for a long time, male varicose veins may become a complication, which again confirms the need for timely preventive medical examination. Taking drugs, wearing special underwear and performing surgery are the main ways to deal with pathology.
Causes of varicose veins in men
Doctors constantly remind patients: If you ignore the influence of certain negative factors, men's health will be seriously damaged. In particular, varicose veins will appear due to blood vessel problems, which is the answer to whether men have diseases such as varicose veins.
The hematologist explained in detail why the blood vessel wall of the strong half of human beings became thinner, while the visible vein nodes appeared.
The causes of varicose veins in men are:
- Genetic susceptibility (a person may inherit weak blood vessel walls or venous valve failure);
- Hard physical labor;
- Wearing shoes that can cause leg discomfort for a long time;
- Lack or lack of physical exercise;
- Abuse of junk food;
- Nicotine/alcohol addiction;
- Increase blood viscosity;
- Cardiovascular disease;
- Liver pathology.
Obesity and weightlifting are considered to be the most common causes of venous malformations. With the appearance of extra pounds, the blood vessels are compressed more and the risk of varicose veins increases significantly. The same applies to excessive physical exertion, especially the passion for power sports.
The definition of predisposing factors depends on the location of the disease in the body. For example, due to rapid weight loss or genetic reasons, varicose veins may appear on the chest or abdomen.
Differences between male and female varicose veins
According to statistics, it is more common (about 40%) that intravenous blood flow in women's blood is stagnated and subsequently appears varicose veins.
The number of male patients under 18 who have to deal with this pathology is 10-20%. This is due to the peculiarities of the function of the hormonal system.
The state of blood vessels in a woman's body largely depends on the levels of estrogen and progesterone.
As the secretion of a hormone increases:
- Vascular dilation;
- Increased blood viscosity;
- Increase the risk of blood clots.
Hormonal changes especially affect blood vessels in pregnancy and menopause. With the cyclical changes in the various stages of the menstrual cycle, the concentration of progesterone first increases and then drops sharply, after which the amount of estrogen increases. In addition, many women have prescribed hormone replacement therapy.
Therefore, the main reason why men are less likely to suffer from varicose veins is as follows: In women, blood vessels are weak due to the above process. In addition, in men, the skin is denser, which often makes it impossible to detect the vascular characteristics of early varicose veins.
In almost 90% of cases, the occurrence of female varicose veins is related to childbirth and childbirth, and the veins of the lower limbs and pelvic organs may be affected at the same time.
Degree of pathology and symptoms
The clinical manifestations are due to the stage of the disease and the location of the problem area. For example, as the disease progresses, the symptoms of varicose veins in the lower extremities in men get worse.
This disease develops as follows:
- With the transition to stage 2, symptoms become more pronounced. The disease is accompanied by clearer drainage of blood vessels, thinning of the skin, dark brown spots, puffiness, night cramps, and skin diseases in the form of rashes and itching. Whether you are on the move or during a break, painful feelings will bother you. Malnutrition complications-ulcers, inflammation of the subcutaneous fat layer, and venous lymphedema supplement the last stage of varicose veins in men.
No matter where you track the deformation of blood vessels, as the disease progresses, they will swell and form tortuous shapes.
Types of varicose veins in men
The disease not only affects the veins of the lower limbs.
Strong sexual representatives are facing signs of varicose veins:
- on hand;
- Testicles (so-called varicocele, appearing on two testicles and one testicle);
- Internal organs (esophagus, stomach, intestine);
- Lower rectum;
- (rare location) on the nose.
When the blood vessels on the arm begin to deform, most people ignore these changes, especially athletes. However, since the development of the disease is fraught with disability, it should be shocking to swell the veins with the least amount of energy.
Varicocele is a pathology that only develops in men, and its symptoms are similar to many other urological diseases:
- Pain, exacerbated by exercise and sexual intercourse;
- A feeling of heaviness in the scrotum.
Esophageal varices can cause heartburn, shortness of breath, pain, and anemia. In the case of a disease in the stomach or intestines, when the patient suffers from internal bleeding, symptoms will be noticed later.
A person suffers from many unpleasant symptoms (constipation, rectal bleeding, painful discomfort, loss of nodules) due to the deformation of blood vessels in the lower rectum (hemorrhoids).
Protruding veins in the abdomen do not always indicate varicose veins. It will only appear for certain reasons. For example, alcohol and nicotine addiction can cause such violations. Among smokers and alcoholics, blood is thicker and blood vessels and muscles become weaker, which increases the risk of abdominal varicose veins in men.
Any type of disease needs prompt treatment.
Why are varicose veins harmful to men
If you start pathology, in addition to obvious symptoms, there will be various complications.
Depending on the location, varicose veins can cause:
- Thrombophlebitis, the possibility of death increases;
- Venous ulcer;
- Bleeding due to a ruptured blood vessel;
- Mesenteric thrombosis;
- Suppurative paracolitis;
- Tissue necrosis.
allows serious progression of the disease, and a person is at risk of becoming disabled. In severe cases, death is not ruled out.
In the early stages, various drugs are used for treatment.
Prescribe patients to use:
- Intravenous infusion set, which can strengthen blood vessels and enhance its tone;
- Anticoagulants can reduce blood density;
- Antioxidants can improve the structural parameters of blood;
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs;
- Thrombolytics in the presence of thrombosis;
- Drugs that normalize the metabolic process;
- Vitamin complex.
When selecting a list of drugs and dosages, predisposing factors, age category and disease type of the patient should be considered. Therefore, before treatment, laboratory and instrumental research methods should be used for a comprehensive diagnosis.
Traditional medicine help
Home remedies can help speed up recovery, but remember that they are an aid to medicine. It is best to use traditional medicine recipes for prevention.
You can fight varicose veins in the following ways:
- Pour boiling water (1 cup) into hazel leaves (1 tablespoon). After 15 minutes, the infusion set can be used. It is recommended to drink 3-4 cups a day.
- At night, it is recommended to apply thinly sliced green tomatoes to the swollen veins. The treatment time is about six months.
- Crush raw potato tubers (4-5 pieces), and then apply the mixture to the affected area of the leg. Use plastic wrap on the top. Wash off after 4 hours.
- Pour the horse chestnut inflorescence (50 g) and vodka (1 l) and soak for a week. The reagent must be shaken regularly. Usage and dosage-3 times a day before meals, 30 ml each time. A course lasts for 7 days with 5 days off.
- Mix minced garlic (250g) and honey (350g). After one week of infusion, take 15 g for 1-2 months.
Alternative therapy is effective for the initial symptoms. If the disease develops significantly, it will be useless.
According to venous biologists, the only way to get rid of varicose veins is surgery. Indeed, its realization cannot guarantee that it will not recur in the future. The success of the treatment of male varicose veins depends on the doctor's behavior, not just the patient's own behavior.
Modern surgeons use the following methods to solve this problem:
- Microbanding (removal of nodes);
- Burn venous nodules with steam;
- Sclerotherapy (foam, radio frequency, laser).
One of the positive aspects of using surgical methods is that surgery usually does not require hospitalization of the patient. Before leaving the hospital, the doctor must make a list of recommendations that must be followed in order to fully recover.
The food the patient eats is also important.
In order to keep the container in good condition longer, the menu should contain the following products:
- Ascorbic acid (reducing swelling and strengthening blood vessel walls);
- Plant fiber (good intestinal function);
- A substance that improves the elasticity of blood vessels (which is rich in seafood).
To prevent blood clots, it is recommended to consume blood thinning products (linseed oil, fish oil, garlic, citrus fruits, oatmeal).
It is recommended to give up food that is harmful to the body. Thanks to a well-designed diet, you can forget about vein problems for a long time.
Wearing a medical sweatshirt is to avoid the chance of re-forming varicose veins after surgery. In addition, underwear with compression properties can slow down the onset of diseases or avoid the development of diseases altogether.
Similar products appear in the form of tights, stockings, and golf balls, but with different degrees of compression:
- Preventive underwear (pressure indicator -18-22 mmHg). Class 1 knitwear is suitable for the initial symptoms.
- If varicose veins are moderately expressed, please wear class 2 knitwear (up to 32 mmHg).
- Patients with deep vein thrombosis need grade 4 knitwear (more than 46 mmHg).
If necessary, the venologist will help select the appropriate type of medical underwear. It is also important to be familiar with the operating conditions of the jersey in advance.
The advantages of ointment, varicose vein ointment
The therapeutic value of this drug depends on its constituents. Therefore, you should consult a doctor before using an external agent.
For best results, it is best to use ointment on the initial performance of the violation.
- Fatigue, pain, discomfort and swelling disappear;
- The blood vessels become stronger;
- Small blood clots are absorbed;
- The skin is moisturized;
- Increased muscle and blood vessel tone.
Patients suffering from the following diseases are prohibited from using this cream:
- Nutritional ulcers, open skin lesions;
- Personally intolerant of components.
Some venous biologists said with confidence that external preparations are absolutely useless for varicose veins. They argued that if the vein is elongated, only surgery can correct the situation.
If a person is susceptible to varicose veins, he should pay more attention to preventive measures. In particular, wearing a medical sweatshirt will help reduce the risk of blood vessel deformation.
Staying still for a long time can severely exacerbate this situation, so it is necessary to take regular rest and simple exercise.
This recommendation is especially suitable for office workers who sit at the computer almost all day.
In the list of mandatory rules:
- Quit smoking;
- Revision of the nutritional diet;
- often walk in the fresh air;
- Moderate physical activity;
- Keep calm as much as possible.
Contrast washing your feet will help. If you gain weight, you should consult a qualified expert to normalize the weight.
Since this disease is difficult to detect at an early stage, regular check-ups will help detect vascular problems in time.
Although varicose veins are rare in men, ignoring these symptoms can also lead to sad consequences. Prevention will help avoid the development of pathology, and surgical intervention will be required to eliminate progressive disease.